Childcare Organization was formed in March 17, 2003 in a small village Elliot, Group Village Headman Nambesa, Traditional Authority Mwambo, Zomba District, Southern Region of Malawi. The Organization was formed to make a difference to Malawian children who are directly affected y problems stemming from pervasive and deep – rooted poverty.
Malawi has high infant and maternal mortality rates, high illiteracy rates, poor health and food insecurity, a high incidence of malnutrition, high child morbidity rates, high levels of child and widespread cases of children with psychological disorders. The AIDS pandemic has created a growing number of children who have lost one or both parents.
A total of 4 Community Based Childcare Centres are currently operational, providing early childhood development opportunities which address the social, emotional and cognitive development of the child and serve as a protective environment for approximately 600 children under the age of five.
The CBCCs are an entry point for linking communities with early childhood development programmes, protection, support and key care practices while serving as a referral source for other community services, such as Education and Healthcare.
- Support Orphans and other vulnerable children with social welfare assistance
- Enhance Orphans and other vulnerable children’s access to quality education
- Improve household food security and nutrition of orphaned children and families affected by HIV/AIDS
- Establish and strengthen community caring mechanisms for children without parent/guardian support
- Provide psychosocial support to Orphans and other vulnerable children and their caregivers
- Protect Orphans and other vulnerable children protection from abuse, exploitation and property dispossession
- Provide emergency support to destitute families caring for orphans and other vulnerable children
The purpose of the Childcare organization is to meet the needs of the poor with emphasis on the children through social, medical and spiritual ministry based upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
As a Christian childcare community we value as sacred:
- First call for children- the child as our first priority
- God’s involvement – His love, wisdom, guidance and power in everything
- Trust, openness and accountability
- Long term change-building dignity and responsibility to escape dependence
- Participation-of children in giving opinions, suggestions at all level.
The childcare organization has been established in respect of global goals and commitments in line with international and national human rights instruments, policies, and other guiding principles. These are:
- The millennium development goals which all share a direct impact on the lives of children.
- The UNGASS goals further to the UNITED nations Declaration of commitment on HIV/AIDS.
- UN convention on the rights of the child promoting inalieble rights for children that are indivisible and interdependent.